300g cauliflower, cut into florets
200ml semi-skimmed milk
100g grated cheddar cheese
200ml vegetable stock
40g plain flour
200g macaroni or other similar pasta
1 tsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Boil the kettle. Put the pasta in a pan and add the water from the kettle. Boil for 10mins until the pasta is cooked.
3. Cut the cauliflower into florets and, if you have one, put in a steamer basket with the lid on over the pasta. If not boil in a separate pan for about 5-8mins, until tender but not mushy.
4. Meanwhile, put the butter, flour, and milk in a pan and bring up to a simmer, whisking all the time. If you do get any lumps in the sauce, just whisk them out. Then add the vegetable stock and cook over a low heat until it starts to thicken and bubble, about 10mins. Stir to combine and add most of the cheese and the crushed garlic and some black pepper. Turn the heat off and let the cheese melt into the sauce.
5. Put the cooked pasta and cauliflower into an ovenproof dish and pour over the sauce. Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese and cook in the oven for 15mins until the cheese starts to brown.
6. While it's in the oven make the tomato, lettuce and cucumber into a salad and dress with the olive oil. DIsh the cauliflower cheese into four portions. Freeze the other three in individual portions for another day.